National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, NIT Durgapur, NITDGP, West Bengal /
Regional Engineering College, Durgapur (REC Durgapur)
Year of Establishment :
Formerly known as the Regional Engineering College, Durgapur (REC Durgapur),the institution was granted Deemed University status with the approval of the UGC / AICTE. In July 2003, the institution was renamed National Institute of Technology, Durgapur.
It is among the first 8 Regional Engineering Colleges established in India and was founded in 1960 under an Act of the Parliament of India by the then Chief Minister of West Bengal.
It is a fully-funded premier Technological Institution of the Government of India and is administered by an independent Board of Governors. Today it is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology in India.
NIT Durgapur subsidizes undergraduate student fees by about 80% and provides scholarships to all M.Tech. students and research scholars to promote them to pursue higher studies.
College Grade / Ranking :
- It is pioneer institute in Eastern India to be selected as a Lead Institute under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) of the government of India funded by the World Bank.
- The Institute receives funding of about Rs. 50 crore per year from the Government of India.
- In 2010, NIT-Durgapur celebrated its Golden Jubilee (completing 50 years).
- An Institute of National Importance by the Government of India.
The institute is located about 161 km north-west of Kolkata on the Howrah-Delhi railway route, overlooking the National Highway No.2 ( Grand Trunk Road ), covering 187 acres of land.
Road Distance or driving distance from Durgapur Railway Station to NIT Durgapur is 8 kms.
The Taxi fare is Rs. 208 from durgapur railway station to NIT Durgapur.
Courses / Departments :
|Branch / Course||Intake||Course Start Year|
|Computer Science & Engineering||68|
|Electrical & Electronics Engineering||68|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||68|
Total Seats : 590
Student Societies @ NIT Durgapur :
1) IEEE Chapter
2) GNU/ Linux Users Group :
It organizes an annual national level technical symposium on Linux and FOSS called Mukti.
3) AIChE Chapter
The Chemical Engineering department's students' society CHESS has taken initiative and has started a chapter of AIChe.
4) Enteract Club :
Enteract Club is the official dramatics club of NIT Durgapur and plays an essential role to encourage cultural activities in the field of dramatics and film making.
5) Team Robocon :
ROBOCON is an Asia-Pacific robotics competition held annually.
Photography club, Music club, Science club, Debate club and Fine Arts club, Dance club.
College Campus :
The institute has a High-Voltage Laboratory which is only the sixth of its kind in the world and the first in India. The entire Institute is connected by a LAN using high speed Fibre Optic.
The computer science department has a CISCO lab in partnership with CISCO. The Institute has developed two state-of-art CAD Laboratories to educate the students on Computer Aided Design.
The Institute has a complete Physical Training Department for the students. There are courts for Volleyball and Basketball. A shopping centre and a Hospital located within the campus.
National Institute of Technology, Durgapur is a residential Institute. The hostels accommodate about 2500 boys and 500 girls student.
College Fees :
Semester wise college fees :
1st Sem Rs. 31,017
2nd, 4th & 6th Sem Rs. 24,100
3rd, 5th & 7th Sem Rs. 24,817
8th Sem Rs. 24,300
The library is an institutional member of DELNET. It is fully programmed using LibSys software. It is housed in a separate building. The library has a gathering of 1.2 lac volumes which includes Text Books, Reference Books & Bound vols. of Journals, Standards etc.
Festivals / College Events :
1) Recstacy, popularly known as REX, is the annual social & cultural festival of National Institute of Technology, Durgapur and is held for 4 nights and 3 days, towards the end of February every year. It draws a footfall of about 8,000 students from colleges across the country.
2) Aarohan is the Annual National Techno-Management festival organized by the National Institute of Technology, Durgapur. Aarohan is organized during even semesters and lasts for four days.
3) Verve - Its youth cum literary festival.
Campus Placements :
National Institute of Technology, Durgapur,
Priyadarshini Indira Sarani,
Durgapur – 713209,
Tel : +91 343 2546397
Fax : +91 343 2547375
National Institute of Technology, Durgapur Website : www.nitdgp.ac.in
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Opinion / Review :