Computer Engineering / Computer Science Engineering (CMPN)
Computer engineering stream teaches about the design, development, manufacture and maintenance of computer systems, networks, hardware and software development, multimedia, data structures, graphics etc.
With the spread of IT in almost every sector Computer engineers are in more demand today all over the globe. Computer engineers are involved in many hardware and software aspects of computing.
As a result, there exists a huge demand for computer engineering professionals for the development of faster hardware components, new communication systems and software.
There are two major specialties in computer engineering : Software Engineering and Hardware Engineering.
- Software Engineering
Within computer engineering those who deal with the computer programs are called software engineers. Computer software engineers design, develop, upgrade and test new software.
They set up networks and work in application design. This involves designing or coding new programs and applications to meet the requirements of a business or individual.
- Hardware Engineering
Those who deal with the computer equipments are termed as computer hardware engineers. Hardware engineers are involved in the research, designing, testing, manufacturing and installation of computer hardware such as computer chips, circuit boards, microprocessors, switches, routers computer systems and related equipments. According to BLS, 95% of computer hardware engineers work in urban areas.
Computer Engineering ( Computer Science ) as a Subject :
Computer Science has been rising as a subject of interest, career and also as a necessity.
India has emerged as a major IT hub turning out as a computer and technology reservoir for many top class IT companies. This is why a majority of IT enabled work is done by the Indians.
Who Should Join Computer Engineering?
If you have an interest in database management and application development, you should seek out this engineering discipline. If you love computing and have a liking to learn and work on new and exciting technologies, engineering in computer science is your precise choice.
Subjects you will be studying include -
- Computer Organization - CO
- Digital Logic Circuits
- Data Structure and Programming Methodology
- Operating Systems - OS
- Discrete Mathematics
- Object Oriented Programming Systems - OOPs
- Database Management System - DBMS
- Web Administration
- Electronics Circuits,
- Computer Communication Networks - CCN
- Programming Languages
- Theory of Computer Science - TCS
- Hardware Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence - AI
- Digital signal processing - DSP
- Internet Technologies
- and much more…
Nature of the Work
You would be involved in the design and development of computer systems, networking technologies, design data structures, creating graphical animations etc. You would be involved in the hardware and software technologies, from developing new advanced chips and circuits to completely designing a new program for easy computing and storage of data. In short, computer science and engineering study would prepare you with the knowledge to develop innovative technologies.
Computer Engineers though are mostly involved in IT industries, they are gaining further demand in other industries viz. bank, airlines, public utilities, tele-communications, manufacturing sector etc.
Here is a list of research and vocational areas in computing.
- Artificial Intelligence — Develop computers that simulate human learning and reasoning ability.
- Computer Design and Engineering — Design new computer circuits, microchips, and other electronic components.
- Computer Architecture — Design new computer instruction sets, and combine electronic or optical components to provide powerful but cost-effective computing.
- Information Technology — Develop and administer information systems that support a business or organization.
- Software Engineering — Develop methods for the production of software systems on time.
- Computer Theory — Investigate the fundamental theories of how computers solve problems, and apply the results to other areas of computer science.
- Operating Systems and Networks — Develop the basic software computers use to administer themselves or to communicate with other computers.
- Software Applications — Apply computing and technology to solving problems outside the computer field – in education or medicine, for example.
Placement and Pay Scale for Computer Engineers
Software engineers are the most sought after in India. So it is no surprise that this branch is leading. This branch offers higher pay packages than any other branch as well as ample overseas job opportunities.
Generally, the starting salaries are on the higher side for computer engineering graduates as compared to other branches. However, it depends on your institutional background, grades obtained and the work experience you have gained during your studies.
Starters can get a pay of about 15000/- to 20000 per month.
Some I.T. companies that hire CSE engineers include Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, IBM, Facebook, Oracle, Cisco, Infosys, TCS, and Wipro.
Computer Engineering Colleges in Mumbai
Best institutes (apart for the IITs and NITs) include IT-BHU, Indian School of Mines University-Dhanbad, Indian Institute of Information Technology - Hyderabad, BITS Pilani.